[Edu-sig] Student teaching and tutorials

Conrad Koziol arkamir@softhome.net
08 Jul 2003 09:26:38 -0700

Hello everyone,Im going into highschool next year and I've been
following this thread for some time now. The biggest problem I have
faced with learning python is the lack of showing the point of the
lesson in a way you could use it in programming. For example, THE QUICK
PYTHON BOOK, an excellent source teaches about lists, tuples, and
dictionaries among other things, yet if fails to show them used in other
ways than stand alone examples such as:
a = [ 1, 2, "first"]
print a

They don't seem to develop it much further. I quickly understand lists
and stuff and then they jump into class and control flow which is more
complicated. What the greatest teaching tool ever for me would a python
tutorial on how to build a message board/forum. This would include
everything from lists to classes to htmlgen. It would also show me a
practical use for everything, by using something I am highly interested
in. Web development and game development are the two things held in
regard by students. I would also love an easier tutorial for total
beginners branching off pygame. The trick to teaching anything is to go
over the same things over and over, but each way in a slightly different
manner or point of view while holding the readers interest. As a last
note, I find many tutorials helpful, but something they all lack is a
test or review at the end. This would help me greatly, because that is
how i am used to learning things in school.

	Thanks,
		Conrad