[Edu-sig] Student teaching and tutorials

Kirby Urner urnerk@qwest.net
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 07:15:24 -0700

At 09:26 AM 7/8/2003 -0700, Conrad Koziol wrote:

>They don't seem to develop it much further. I quickly understand lists
>and stuff and then they jump into class and control flow which is more
>complicated. What the greatest teaching tool ever for me would a python
>tutorial on how to build a message board/forum. This would include
>everything from lists to classes to htmlgen.

There's something like this in 'Python: How to Program'
(Deitel).  It's XML based, using Python.  It presumes you
have a web server (e.g. Apache) available, and are using
Python as your cgi language.  Very simple message board.
The book itself is fairly spendy (like $85).  I see Amazon
has some used:

I worked as one of the technical reviewers on this one.
One of my complaints was that several chapters have little
to do with Python.  That's because it's part of a series
across several languages and some of the stuff they just
recycle.

Kirby