[Edu-sig] re: TeachScheme

Arthur ajs@optonline.net
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 11:34:14 -0500

>I don't find the PLT Scheme "full programming >environment" to be all that
super advanced over >whatever he means by "low-level interaction".
>Maybe he hasn't seen Patrick's namespace aware >PyAlaMode.

I agree that is the weakest link in his argument.  As I have said here
before - and therfore to Mathias's - it is that environment that stopped in
my tracks when I took at a shot at TeachScheme.  But also as I've said here,
it was the focus on "environment" itself, rather than that *particular*
environement that happened to be my problem.  I am not alone in feeling that
beginning programming is best approached in an as "environmentless"
environment as possible.
When I didn't see an easy way to get at Scheme, outside of the imposed
environment, I moved on.

But in fairness, I was learning on my own.  Which is not the audience of
TeachScheme. In the context of their integrated curricula, it might make
perfect sense.

And certainly you/we cannot get off the hook that easily - by pointing to
the weakest link in his argument.

And labeling him as "anti-Python", is a diversion.

I wish this was only a *language* war.

It is, IMO, something deeper and more significant than that. And I am not
quite sure that God is fully on our side.

Art