[Edu-sig] re: A "Python in Education" track at PyCon 2004?

Jeffrey Elkner jeff@elkner.net
25 Jul 2003 17:08:25 -0400

On Fri, 2003-07-25 at 16:54, Arthur wrote:
> Jeff writes:
>
> >I've been talking to Steve Holden about my interest in organizing a
> >"Python in Education" track at next years PyCon.  The message below just
> >appeared on the pycon-organizers list, so I thought I would pass it
> >along here and ask you all if you are thinking about attending PyCon
> >next year and if you would be interested in a Python in Education track.
>
> I would hope to be there and - inspired by Kirby's talk - hope to submit a
> proposal for a PyGeo presentation.

Cool!  I would love to attend.

> It would be nice to have a Python in Education track, if enough interest can
> be generated.

I think it can.

> To do so, it would be important, IMO, to make sure the community sees the
> track defined as broadly as possible.
>
> Any levelof education.
>
> Any degree of esoterica.
>
> As intimidating as the possiblity of having to follow a PyGeo presentation
> miught be ;) -
>
>  I would guess there would be a good number of proposals for presentations.

I don't know how the process works.  I was only trying to figure out at
this stage if it was worth moving forward with it.  It seems that it is.

> Can it go forward tentatively - final determination made after assessing
> whether the proposal submissions justify a separate track?

Well, it *is* going forward tentatively.  In fact, I haven't even
brought this up with the conference organizors yet (aside from Steve
Holden).  I wanted to see if there was any interest before going any
further with it.  I figured this list was as good a place as any to
start.  I've received three replys already, so I'm feeling pretty
encouraged ;-)

jeff elkner
open book project at ibiblio
http://ibiblio.org/obp