[Edu-sig] Pygame anyone?

Kirby Urner urnerk@qwest.net
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 16:19:53 -0700

At 11:26 AM 7/30/2003 -0700, Dethe Elza wrote:
>Kirby,
>
>I've been quiet on the list lately, but I always enjoy your code examples
>and would be happy to see you share them.  Pygame is very interesting and
>something I've been meaning to find time to explore.

Thanks for your interest Dethe.  It's a bit too much to post to this list
(390 lines and counting), so I've put my recent playing around on the web
at:  http://www.inetarena.com/~pdx4d/ocn/python/pygame/

I've only tested it in Windows, so if you're doing the Linux thing, I'd
be interested to know if everything works.  I was pretty liberal with
comments, to help with learning (who knows when I might want to understand
this again).

>I've been discussing a potential game with my daughter (age 6) involving
>fairies.  So far I have a pair of fairy (or butterfly) wings flapping in
>VPython, but haven't gotten further.  Perhaps I'd make faster progress
>with a sprite-based Pygame version.  I want to make it a toolkit for her
>to begin exploring simple programming, like turtle graphics is to Logo.

I had Tara (9) looking over my shoulder as I coded some of this today.
It was her idea to do 7 concentric circles using VIBGYOR (the colors
of the rainbow).  I had to google for RGB values.  I didn't really
explain what I was doing as I entered them in hex.

>If there's any interest I can post it.  Not sure how crufty it is, it's
>been awhile since I've worked on it.
>
>--Dethe

I'd be interested.  I have to see if VPython is working for me though.
I'm using 2.3 and all my file associations point to 2.3.  The 2.2 stuff
doesn't work very well.  That's a problem with Windows, makes it hard
for several Pythons to co-exist.  But there's always using a different
box!

Kirby