[Edu-sig] Re: Pygame anyone?

Lee Harr missive@hotmail.com
Thu, 31 Jul 2003 05:09:31 +0000

Hi;

I have been working quite a lot lately on the pygsear framework which
builds on python and pygame.  One of my students was having a tough
time getting the turtle graphics program to work with windows xp, so what
I ended up doing is embedding a python interpreter inside of pygame.

Basically another one of those "python moments" when I just say... wow.
It's really pretty neat.

I started using epydoc too, so the documentation is getting much better.
Take a look and let me know what you think:

pygsear is a programming framework using Python and Pygame.

pygsear has classes for sprites, paths, widgets, events,
sounds, networking (using Twisted) and more, and it comes
with many of examples.

More information is available here:
http://www.nongnu.org/pygsear/

Download the latest version here:
http://savannah.nongnu.org/files/?group=pygsear

CHANGES:
version 0.47.1
- test.py shoud be more easily runnable without installing
- Allow load and save of penguin graphics sessions
- Bump up some of the default font sizes
- Removed inadvertent mixer.init() at start of lunar.py
- Use event.wait() in modal Console widget
- Arrow keys now work in TextInput widget
- Changed Turtle.setColor and nudge_color slightly

version 0.47
- Added Widget.Console for embedded python interactive interpreter
   - used in examples/interact.py for working with penguin graphics
- Major changes to pygsear/Event.py
   - Event is now a subclass of pygame.sprite.Sprite
   - added a new EventGroup which subclasses sprite.Group
   - this allows Events to be grouped like Sprites.
   - added new examples/events.py to test Event changes.
- Major cleanup to Util.load_* functions.
   - get_dirs() now tells where to look for files to load
- All demos updated and are now working
- Drawable.Image can now take a Surface for the image
- Fixed bug in Drawable.String
   - can now take an empty string
- Initial work at using sound
   - use Util.load_sound to find and load .wav files
   - load_sound will return DummySound objects if sound is broken
   - examples/lunar.py is the first to get sounds
- Added line wrapped text code from Pygame PCR
   - used in Widget.Dialog_OK and Widget.Console
   - added trim parameter. Trims surface to just hold the text.