[Edu-sig] OT: Good idea - [reading source code]

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri, 27 Jun 2003 23:52:07 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, Arthur wrote:

> this from http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/editions/accessdav.asp
>
> """
> Complete Source Code
>
> Often, the best way to learn new coding techniques is to see the source
> code of shipping solutions.

Hi Arthur,

Yes, I also agree that code should be treated as literature.  As writers,
we have a responsibility to do our fair share of reading good code!  I'm
not sure if Microsoft Access qualifies, but it must be better than
nothing.  *grin*

The only time I saw code reading really emphasized in high school, though,
was during the reading of test questions; we were otherwise left to our
own devices.  But what kinds of good Python "literature" can educators
use?

I did just browse through a book called "Code Reading" that looked very
exciting:

    http://www.spinellis.gr/codereading/

I think it's unfortunate that there's no Python in there, but despite
that, the book looks very awesome!  There's a lot of great material in
there.  Has anyone thought about doing a commentary on a large Python
codebase?

Talk to you later!