[Edu-sig] open source educational programs

Jaime E. Villate villate at gnu.org
Sun Nov 9 16:25:59 EST 2003

On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 12:08:50PM -0500, Richard Ballard wrote:
> I was reading Simon Willison post about the school tool project and was
> wondering if there are other good and easy to use programs for other
> school activities such as test writing (kids taking test on computers),
> grades etc. Just teacher administration needs. I'm a teacher of middle
> school and would like to have the kids doing more computer based pre
> and post test etc.

In:
  http://www.xplana.com/whitepapers/archives/Open_Source_Courseware
you find a review of 19 different courseware systems.

I personally use Moodle; it allows me to make quizes  and assign
homework for my students and they can discuss in the forums.
I'm also helping a colleague --who teaches scheme programming-- to use
the system for automatically grading the student's programs. The
programs uploaded by the students are run, their output is compared to
the expected output, and grades are recorded into the SQL database used
by Moodle.

Regards,
Jaime