[Edu-sig] re: book: Head First Java

Kirby Urner urnerk at qwest.net
Sat Sep 6 07:48:53 EDT 2003

At 10:21 AM 9/6/2003 +0530, you wrote:

>In this important project it is possible to bring in some purity if we
>can get off from a proprietary format like flash.  Shouldnt we explore
>the possibility of using SVG or even the excellent Blender library for
>education.  In fact the latter option gives you 3D graphics in an open
>standard.  See if you can consider this in this project.
>
>best
>Nagarjuna

Probably something as ambitious as a CDROM-based learning tool
is somewhat distant, at least as far as O'Reilly is concerned
(Head First Java was already a significant innovation -- more
in that "techno-comic" genre would be good before moving out
of print media altogether, and it may not be a book publisher
that wants to try media beyond print).

But you bring up and interesting point in any case, about Flash
vs. SVG.  I recommend the following article to add grist for
your mill (if you hadn't seen it already):
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/javascript/2002/05/24/swf_not_flash.html