[Edu-sig] Consistency question

Kirby Urner urnerk at qwest.net
Thu Sep 25 01:19:12 EDT 2003

> > So I'm wondering how one gets a handle on int-the-builtin-function
> > versus int the integer type (is there such?).
>
> No, there isn't.

Ah, I see.

> The constructor of the int type (actually int.__new__) is what does
> all the magic.  __new__ methods can return whatever they please:
> int("100000000000000000000") returns a long.

So it seems that the int type almost doesn't need an __int__ method, since
so much power resides in the constructor.

If I subclass int and define __int__ myself, I wonder under what
circumstances __int__ will be invoked -- other than by invoking it
explicitly using myobj.__int__() semantics.