[Edu-sig] How to explore Tkinter interactively with IDLE 1.0

Gregor Lingl glingl at aon.at
Fri Sep 26 12:01:21 EDT 2003

Kirby Urner schrieb:

>>From: Gregor Lingl [mailto:glingl at aon.at]
>>Example 1:
>>
>>Start IDLE (Python 2.3.1, IDLE 1.0)

>>Now something very strange happens: three squares are drawn slowly and
>>then,
>>after approximately two seconds the program seems to stop during
>>execution.
>>

>#

Hi Kirby!

>Over here, demo() executes OK, with 3 small boxes.  The 3rd box is filled in
>(color filled).

Yes, but demo() produces a lot more when you run it standalone (as a script)

>I wonder if there's any chance your file associations are connecting you to
>more than one version of Python.  Do your .py and .pyc files all point to
>the latest install?  Do other Pythons exist on the same machine?
>
>The Tk() mainloop() example is as you report it -- not sure if that's a bug
>(it seems a window without any defined controls *would* be unresponsive --
>there is no chance for the user to generate events, other than to terminate
>the loop).

It worked *a lot* different with IDLE 0.8. There you could visually
interactivly compose GUIs.
If wonder if this also is an update() - problem

Gregor

>BTW, have you explored GUI event programming with wxPython instead of Tk?
>There's a lot more functionality in wx -- just running the wxPython demo
>will probably convince you of that.

O.k., but for me it's to big to use in classes. Maybe wax will be ok?

http://zephyrfalcon.org/labs/wax_primer.html

Best wishes,
Gregor