[Edu-sig] Re: easy for beginners, even children

David Handy david at handysoftware.com
Mon Apr 12 15:05:48 EDT 2004

On 12 Apr 2004, Christopher A. Craig wrote:

> > I haven't learned Python yet because it seems something too big to learn
> > now. I'm more comfortable with small languages: bash, awk, logo
>
> I would branch out were I you.  Those three languages have something
> in common, they're all special purpose.  While I'd prefer awk to
> anything else for some applications, it's not real useful in about
> 99.9% of situations, the same goes for bash.  (I don't know logo, but
> based on what I've read, I wouldn't want to write a mail reader in
> it.)

It was valuable feedback that he said Python seems "something too big too
learn now".

I think that there is a core of essential Python features that are easy to
learn and can be used to construct fun games and programs quickly. That
core is what I focus on in the book I'm writing. I think that the core of
Python is easier to learn than awk or bash, and at least as easy as logo.
But that's *my* opinion, and my opinion is not important. It's the
beginner's opinion that matters.

Daniel, would you care to share with us what makes it seem like a big
project to learn Python? I am interested from the standpoint of making my
book better for beginners.

Thanks in advance,
David H.