[Edu-sig] C vs Java

David Handy david at handysoftware.com
Tue Apr 13 10:25:22 EDT 2004

> > I've heard a lot about how C is deadand Java's open source
> > compiler/libs lacking. Learning see C would begood for kernel hacking if
> > ever get into it, but I'm most likely goingto have to learn Java for my
> > AP
> > tests anyways.
> >
> > Thanks A Lot
> >
> > Conrad

C++ was designed for C programmers, and is heavily based on C. Java was
designed for C++ programmers, and is heavily based on C++. C is the mother
language of them all.

You can't go wrong by learning C first. In fact, I haven't yet found a
beginning Java book that didn't implicitly assume or explicitly state that
you had to learn C/C++ first. When/if you finally have to learn Java for
the AP tests, the time you spent learning C will benefit you.