[Edu-sig] Re: easy for beginners, even children

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Tue Apr 13 10:58:01 EDT 2004

> I wish someone would do a controlled study of Logo and Python as first
> programming languages. It would be interesting to see which approach was
> more successful in helping people get started actually programming, as
> opposed to having a one-time experience and never touching it again.

To me, it has mostly to do with who those people are, and what motivates
them, and certainly much will depend on the precise language used in
defining the parameters of the study and its results.

So you tell me the results you want, and I'll give you the study which at
least seems on its surface to support those results, in compliance with what
seems to be currently acceptable standards on such matters.

This issue being my obsessive theme of late.

Luckily the Python designers are human beings designing for other human
beings.  And they can approach and think and feel issues of ergonomics
personally and directly. And not rely on studies.

Being a beginner is only a stage. I don't think Python is, was or should be
designed for beginners.  But nonetheless could serve them well.

Because (though everyone on python-list might not agree ;) - even beginners
are human beings.