[Edu-sig] C vs Java

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Tue Apr 13 11:13:10 EDT 2004

> You can't go wrong by learning C first. In fact, I haven't yet found a
> beginning Java book that didn't implicitly assume or explicitly state that
> you had to learn C/C++ first. When/if you finally have to learn Java for
> the AP tests, the time you spent learning C will benefit you.

I think the original poster, as someone proficient in Python, is already in
very good stead when approaching Java.  Fact is, it should be cake to him.
That was my experience - that Python is in fact effective as background for
Java. (And maybe we will live to see people stating this in reverse).

C will probably be more of a challenge.  Precisely why the focus on C at
this stage might make sense.