[Edu-sig] C vs Java

Kirby Urner urnerk at qwest.net
Tue Apr 13 12:27:54 EDT 2004

Hi Conrad --

Yes, I'd recommend C/C++ and Swig, so you can extend Python and participate
in the development of such things as wxPython etc.

I might focus on C++ while learning enough C to support your understanding
of C++.  While hard core kernel development is C, a lot of the interesting
user space stuff is C++.  Given you already understand about objects,
constructors, subclassing and the like, it makes as much sense to work your
way down to C through C++.

I really like Bruce Eckles 'Thinking in C++', which is freely downloadable.
His 'Thinking in Java' is good too.  And it helps that he's a major Python
fan (more proof that he's sane with good aesthetic sensibilities).

Also, it doesn't have to be either/or -- you can start reading ahead in
Bruce's Java book, just to get the flavor.  When you get bored with one
language, play with the other.  Have some interesting project going in both.

Kirby