[Edu-sig] Question ?

Catherine Letondal letondal at pasteur.fr
Tue Apr 20 02:25:30 EDT 2004

On Sat, Apr 17, 2004 at 08:44:54AM -0400, Jason Cunliffe wrote:
> What is the opposite of programming?

Your question implies that we have a definition of programming! ;-)

I don't know if this can help, but you can contrast programming with
interaction. Peter Wegner has written wonderful papers about this
topic: see Why Interaction is More Powerful than Algorithms,
CACM 40(5), pp 80-91 (1997).

This diagram: http://www.pasteur.fr/~letondal/Figures/3-prog-dim.eps
(I know it's hard to read) also tries to describe 3 dimensions (task,
expression mode and execution mode) along
which you can define programming with a candidate 'opposite'.

--
Catherine Letondal -- Pasteur Institute Computing Center