[Edu-sig] How do we tell truths that might hurt

John Zelle john.zelle at wartburg.edu
Thu Apr 22 13:34:30 EDT 2004

Arthur wrote:

>>So, start with Python, keep things concrete as long as possible, use
>>abstraction as it becomes necessary and useful, and let the students
>>have fun. That's the road to universal computer literacy. Comments?
>>
>>--John
>>

>In my mind, the most concrete way to avoid abstraction (at least in some
>sense of the word) and identify programming as it should be - as an
>immensely adaptable tool, is to put it to work, out-of-the box, as a tool.
>
>This class is not about programming, this class is about - physics. Oh, and
>yes, we will be doing some programming.

I absolutely agree with this. But there's no reason the class can't be
about computing/programming instead of physics. The point is simply that
this  programming is to learn some interesting concepts, not necessarily
to learn to be a programmer.

>This is *not* pie-in-the-sky. It's happening today. It can't not happen, it
>makes so much sense.

Yes. I hope that it will also happen in introductory CS classes.

--John