[Edu-sig] How do we tell truths that might hurt

ajsiegel at optonline.net ajsiegel at optonline.net
Thu Apr 22 15:43:04 EDT 2004

Anna writes -

>Teaching algorithmic thinking is crucial, imho. And teaching them
>that there *are* ways to apply this in their own lives is the other key.

As we know, I'm always one to beat the dead horse:

I don't think I would be alone in challenging a distinction between "algorithmic thinking" and practicing mathematics.

But if we need to start off by fooling people who already know they don't like mathematics into thinking that they are not doing it - well, for the good of the cause, I'll try to play along.

But do I get to say "fooled you", at some point in the game? ;)