[Edu-sig] How do we tell truths that might hurt

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Fri Apr 23 21:43:46 EDT 2004

> It *doesn't* have to be Math versus GUI and Games. It can be text
> processing,
> or date manipulation, or any number of other thing. While I understand the
> argument that "it's really just math in disguise", an exclusive (or
> primary)
> focus on math seems to me to forget to present these simple programs that
> show the applicability of programming to other areas of endeavor.

I couldn't disagree more vehemently.  It would make what we are talking
about so much more significant if we helped people understand it was *math*,
through programming, that they were putting to their service in those other
areas of endeavor.

Take that away from the recipe, and for me, this is all a pretty trivial
business.