[Edu-sig] Re: Teaching graphics with Python (was Introductoryhighschool programming)

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Mon Aug 2 00:43:02 CEST 2004

> Arthur:
> > As I say, there is no API documented for the facility of subclassing
> > brought to VPython through the Boost implementation.
> >
> > And I suspect not as much attention was given to developing this as an
> > intuitive API as there might have been, and wouldn't be surprised if
> there
> > is no intention of the VPython project to document it.  Or at least to
> > give documentation of it any priority.
>
> These go together.  By not documenting any API, they're free to give more
> thought to changing it later.  Once documented, it's harder to keep
> revamping it.

I hope that is the direction they are going.  Just don't know.  Bruce has
disappointed me before.  He tends to like to control the flow of information
in ways that I am not totally comfortable with.

There are smart guys who know there are plenty of other smart (and smarter)
guys out there.  And then there are the guys who *always* seem to worry
about talking over peoples heads.

One of the things I love about the Open Source community is the struggle to
keep up.

> Until there's some documentation, I guess it's very unsafe (in the sense
> of
> future code breakage) to build any real codebase on the new subclassing
> features.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.  I don't see much changing other than
possibly the initialization routine.  With modern text editors...