[Edu-sig] Thoughts?

Douglas S. Blank dblank at brynmawr.edu
Sun Dec 5 23:07:54 CET 2004

I'd like to see the data that the article uses, especially for the sciences,
and computer science, specifically. I teach computer science at an all-women's
college. We haven't seen a jump in any enrollment statistics. Although we did
have a general enrollment decline (like most colleges/universities did) after
the tech-pop, and also after 9/11/2001.

I would be very hesitant to link these stats to changes in the way we teach
computer science. For one thing, most of the research doesn't advocate
teaching a topic in a "girl-centered" way, but rather teaching in a more
inclusive manner. That would include making assignments and examples
accessible to all.

For another thing, I don't think most people in CS have changed the way they
teach. I have heard too often that schools "don't have any gender issues",
because *they don't have any women in their CS classes*.

I don't know what Art (and his ESP) have in mind when making his general
criticisms, but my colleagues and I see Python as being an instrument to make
computing more accessible---to everyone, and that the status quo of how we
teach CS needs some serious revision.

For further information, I suggest taking a look at Margolis and Fisher's
"Unlocking the Clubhouse: Women in Computing". Also, you might enjoy a short
article on "Patterns of Curriculum Design" and other ramblings at:

http://dangermouse.brynmawr.edu/publications.shtml

-Doug

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=742&e=1&u=/usatoday/20041203/cm_usatoday/paycloserattentionboysarestrugglingacademically

> My thoughts?
>
> I would like to use the information - if nothing else - to quiet talk of
manipulating programming/math educational curricula to better appeal to
women/girls.

> Those kinds of efforts and that kind of thinking was yesterday's academic
flavor of month, and at least partly responsible - in my mind - for the
statistics you cite.

> That being another thought - my objection to the article is only to the
extent it gives credit to the "report" and the "small group of experts". Other
reports and other small groups of experts had formally concluded much about
the male-dominated nature of the curricula and the vital need for reform on
this score.

> Why to someone like myself, without an agenda, was it clear that this agenda
was overstated, and likely to lead to more "injustice" than it corrected.

> This *is* political.  And the antidote is unfortunately too simple to be
taken seriously. To trust more our senses (I think we have more than 5 of
them).  And trust less the small group of experts.

> Another thought is more controversial and more dire - that the "girl"
friendly curricula to which we have evolved is a seriously inadequate
curriculum on the merits, irrespective of the issue of the gender to which it
better appeals. But it will take many years to reverse and correct where good
intentions and the experts have brought us.