[Edu-sig] editor for children (was Re: explaining functions [Possibly OT])

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Tue Dec 7 10:39:29 CET 2004

In a message of Tue, 07 Dec 2004 06:02:47 +0430, "Lee Harr" writes:
>>Does anybody have any recommendations for an editor for children?  In th
>>days I was speaking, I used an editor called 'brief' but I don't think t
>hey
>>are in business any more.
>
>What attributes are needed in a "for children" editor?
>(or is a list of attributes what you are looking for?)

Not really.  I taught the after school club emacs, which meant we spent a lot
of time 'learnng how to use the editor'.  They were bright, heavily motivated,
and what was best, _only 5 of them_. And they got there by being very curious
what I was doing to present stuff to them.  But the next proposed summer lot
will be a group of 30, and I don't think I will have enough individual
instruction time.  So I wonder if there is an editor they are likely to
know -- perhaps unsurprisingly, most kids I know use Microsoft Word to
edit things, and that's a _rotten_ editor for programming -- of if there
is one that is known for the speed at which it is learnt.

Laura