[Edu-sig] editor for children

ajsiegel at optonline.net ajsiegel at optonline.net
Mon Dec 13 20:00:42 CET 2004

> If there's ever a way to integrate VPython inside of wxWidgets (I
> don'tthink there is right now), then I dare say PyGeo would
> benefit by moving to
> wxWidgets.  Arthur's Tk menus and controls could be re-rendered in
> a more
> capable framework.

Remember that the gui intensive Leo found no reason to go beyond TK.

TK's capabilities and Arthur's capabilities with TK  being different issues ;)

Current VPython uses GTK1 on Linux (where an addtional component for creating a GTK OpenGL canvas is necessary) and a native OpenGL canvas for Windows.

VPython is working toward some integration with PyOpenGL. Which will be very cool. I am hoping this will also mean that it will eventually render onto any OpenGL capable widget - which would include wxPython and PyGame, among others.  Last I looked, the _tkinter OpenGL widget, which has always been a bit of a pain, was out of commission.

At the point that VPython offers more flexibility, I will need to reassess my options.

And look forward to it.  All evidence still pointing to the fact that I have gotten on the right horses, for the kinds the things I have been exploring, and hoping to encourage others to explore.