[Edu-sig] The power of interactivity

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Fri Dec 17 13:14:08 CET 2004

Prasan writes -

> I'm a masochist, but because it will be invaluable should they enter the
> industry and be in charge of writing a scripting system. My objectives for
> introducing Python will be to introduce an appreciation for language
> design
> (our school sticks to C++ for most of the undergraduate coursework), and
> get them thinking about building flexible applications. The one option
> here
> is to write the basic framework myself, including some binding code
> (that'd
> give them a head start, but they'll have to extend the application on both
> the C++ and Python side - and that should give them the experience they
> need). Has anyone here experimented with using the C++/Python combination
> as
> an example of how one could produce flexible systems (not just for games,
> but in general). If so, I'd love to hear about it.

Are you aware of the Boost libraries for writing Python extensions in C++?

http://www.boost.org/libs/python/doc/

The beauty being that bindings created with Boost allow C++ classes to be
inheritable and extendible in Python, rather than just scripted by Python.

VPython - which is a 3d library - uses Boost in its "experimental" 3.0
version.

http://www.vpython.org/linux_download.html

Why not get your students pitching in on the continuing development of
VPython?