[Edu-sig] Learn to Program in Ten Years

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Mon Dec 27 01:33:09 CET 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-27 at 00:56 +0100, Laura Creighton wrote:
> In a message of Sun, 26 Dec 2004 18:40:28 EST, Arthur writes:
> >Wonder what determines one's taste here.  My preference for Gnome is a
> >strong one.
>
> Huge factor:  we think Gnome is _really_ _really_ _ugly_.  Now why either
> a) you don't or b) you don't care  is one of those _really hard_ questions
> about cultural differences, that is very hard to answer.

I think I do care, and I think that the fact that ubuntu has what I
consider to be a very pleasing look and fell to be a good part of why I
am enthusiastic about it. That, and finding the Synaptic Package Manager
and apt-get providing a solution to many of the issues I had trouble
dealing with in other desktops I had tried. Its swell, to coin a
technical term.

But much of this might in fact have more to do with the aesthetic
strengths of the ubuntu folks, more than anything inherent in the tools
themselves.  But it could be a more Gnu aesthetic that I am in fact
responding to. So in that way not totally unrelated. If so, that is
still an aesthetic issue, to me.  I don't have a political preference.