[Edu-sig] re: zero-based indexing

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Fri Jan 2 17:19:39 EST 2004

Lloyd writes -

>Along the way, I did some time observing instruction at Bronx Science.
>As a math major, I was amused that their ground-floor is labeled as the
>zeroth floor.

My OT Bronx Science story, which I told here once before, but feel like
retelling:

A friend Steve had been an Industrial Arts teacher there for some 25 years.
A devoted and talented craftsman, Smithsonian trained in restoration, a
clocksmith, a tinkerer's tinkerer - whose lessons, I think, were always more
about craftsmanship, than about any particular craft.  Was told his shop was
being closed and to take a "sabbatical" year to learn Java well enough to
teach it - or retire. Not in a position to retire, he is now an admittedly
mediocre, at best, programming instructor.

There is lots of this going on, and its worth keeping in mind - IMO.