[Edu-sig] resigning

Jason Cunliffe jason.cunliffe at verizon.net
Sun Jan 4 15:38:31 EST 2004

> Do you think he was upset cuz you called him on "Fourth"?

Kirby, I really hope not..
Maybe because I asked for a simple translation -- but that was both a direct
comment and a sincere request on my part.

 "Fourth" could have been an innocent/freudian typo. [I'm sorry I know my
own posts are painfully full of them] Else there is another language
"Fourth" I've not heard of.

Myth has it that FORTH was spelled that way because max 5 characters were
allowed.

<bio-note-and-links>
Forth was my first love in programming and fueled my recent enthusiasm for
Rebol which is forth like in some nice ways, including use of : in word
definitions. Rebol is like a more readable Forth. The forth I studied was
the more expansive Amiga JForth  which operated much like Python --
interactive shell with imported text scripts. JForth had abandoned original
FORTH's block code minimalism.. I got into it because it was used in HMSL, a
musicians meta language toolkit now reborn in Java as JMSL. Phil Burke was
the main author and maintainer of JForth and HMSL. His latest is JSyn, the
superb Java audio synthesis tool now added to 'Processing' open toolbox by
Amit Pitaru as 'Sonia'.

Perhaps coolest non-adopted Forth offspring I ever came across was John
Walker's "ATLAST"

JForth
http://home.tampabay.rr.com/jforth/
HMSL