[Edu-sig] re: conversation is unnecessarily burdened

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sun Jan 4 18:34:27 EST 2004

Paul writes -

>There are many things that one can become a master of , and I can
>acknowledge that you have a good mind and a scholarly sense - but that you
>do not understand something might rather lead to an interest in what you do
>not know rather than a communication of distrust.  ?

I can only respond that a communication of distrust is just that - an effort
to communicate.  And should be seen as preferable to and more respectful
than uncommunicated mistrust.

And while there is very rarely general consensus around edu-sig, there seems
to be some general consensus, that the BNCGroup might well take some
responsibility for an inability of others to grasp its agenda.  Part of the
distrust, in my case, derives from the fact that there is zero (or null)
effort to state objectives and ideas in ways that could reasonable be
expected to be grasped by an interested, but uninitiated, observer.

So yes, I quite believe that you have "seen this before".

And as much bandwidth as I might consume, there is plenty of unconsumed
bandwidth as well (as I think Kirby, in effect, once observed). I don't
perceive myself as attempting to do more than say what I have to say. And
can't find a reason to believe doing so is effectively limiting anyone else
from having their say.

In terms of talking to someone who can speak for the Python community -
impossible, thank goodness.  In terms of speaking for folks who can speak
for the Python Software Foundation, I pointed clearly in the appropriate
direction.  Best I can do.