[Edu-sig] Re: Confusion with slice notation

Kirby Urner urnerk at qwest.net
Mon Jan 5 17:48:09 EST 2004

> However, as Kirby points out, this isn't the only appropriate way to
> teach it.  Some people would actually be confused by the model.

I like the distances/offset picture just fine, and introduced it complete
with "ascii ruler".

I quote (myself):

============

  |<-- 0th -|<--1st --|<-- 2nd -|<-- etc.-|
  |---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|
  0         1         2         3         4         5         6         7
  |--1st -->|--2nd -->|--3rd -->|--etc.-->|

I think it pays to read some about memory storage, fetching and retrieving
from RAM, address bus, data bus, clock bus -- all that inner guts stuff --
to get some sense of it.

============

It's just that

is the same as

[['a','b','c','d'][i] for i in [0,1,2]]

meaning we don't need anything but the start positions on the ruler, to grab
what hangs thereon.

> Besides the issue of learning styles, you have the whole issue of
> computer "readiness" - specific background information - that will
> differ from person to person.

Good point to raise.