[Edu-sig] RE: intell adoption problem

Michael McLay mmclay at comcast.net
Mon Jan 5 22:49:41 EST 2004

On Monday 05 January 2004 08:05 pm, Arthur wrote:
> Michael writes -
>
> >The Python 3 reference is included because the funding request is
> >piggybacking the Python 3.0 development costs on the larger education
> >centric proposal
>
> Just understand that someone like myself is put in a funny position,
> because the degree of involvement of Guido and the PSF is a total unknown.
> So it all comes off a bit peculiar.  I am sure you can understand why that
> would be.
>
> That aside, all my instincts are sending up red flags.  But I have been
> working in close quarters with myself for quite some time, and have found
> my instincts to be quite fallible.

No need for red flags. As BDFL, Guido remains in control. He isn't interested
in writing grants (and he shouldn't waste his time on such menial tasks). If
by chance we happen to get funding for the PSF to develop Python 3.0, then
Guido will be the one making the final decisions about what makes it into the
next major release. (Assuming he isn't hit by a bus:-) The proposals are
being developed with the hope of getting funding to accelerate the process.
The grant would fund the core Python developers to experiment and submit code
that will make Python 3.0 happen sooner rather than later.