[Edu-sig] RE: More group theory with Python

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Jan 20 01:47:12 EST 2004

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Kirby Urner wrote:

> I wonder if all the python.org sig lists are getting so much spam.
> I'll raise the issue on pydotorg.

Hi Kirby,

For tutor at python.org, we moderate all nonsubscribers posts.  All
unmoderated messages end up in a queue in Mailman so that one of the
admins can look at it and cull out the spam.

It's extra work for me and Wesley Chun, but at least no spam gets into
Tutor (... without us being negligent, of course.  *grin*)  We're getting
about 10 spams a day, so my job now is to occasionally go in there and
just clear the moderation queue every so often.  (In the past few days,
the number of spams has definitely skyrocketed; I wonder why?)

If you're using the new Mailman, the option is under the
"generic_nonmember_action" flag in Privacy/Sender filters from the Mailman
administrative page.

Hope this helps!