[Edu-sig] HS Example problems

John Zelle john.zelle at wartburg.edu
Thu Jan 22 14:45:51 EST 2004

mhanna at pvcsd.org wrote:

>Hello all,
>I am new to the list and Python in general. I want to start using Python in my
>Into to CS Class in High School. I have previewed a number of books but am
>having difficulties finding a decent source for:
>1) a detailed curriculum (basic class for 100% new programming students)
>2) Good examples and problems for projects
If you've not already checked it out, my CS1 textbook might be
appropriate for you. See http://mcsp.wartburg.edu/zelle/python if you're

>On another note:
>I am using OSX 10.2 and am having problem setting up the computers to run a
>decent IDE. I have tried MacPython and Pyoxide. Any help would be deeply
We use IDLE for our intro classes, and it works well. Unfortunately IDLE
uses the Tkinter package, which is not included in the default OSX
python. I have a colleague who is using IDLE and Python on his Mac by
running XDarwin and the Python available from the fink project
(http://fink.sourceforge.net). It works great for him, but I can't vouch
for how it would work in a lab setting.

I believe it is also possible to do a native install of Python and
tcl/tk from source under OSX, but I have not had a chance to try that
out yet.