[Edu-sig] re: Network-safe Python Install for school use?

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Sat Mar 20 09:57:32 EST 2004

Art,

At first glance LiveCD is an interesting solution. But the problem
with it is that I want to be teaching (and learning) Python, not
Linux. I don't think it will work to take a student whose background
is in Windows, throw him/her on a Linux box and say, "Let's write
some Python!"

I think building a standalone Python CD that will run on Windows is
more likely to work for me. Then at least I can tell the sysadmin
that I'm not going to install anything on the PC.

Kent

At 9:35 AM -0500 3/20/04, Arthur wrote:
>BJ writes -
>
>>WHEW. Finally head from my school district's IT dept. regarding the
>>possibility of installing Python for kids to learn programming on. They are
>>VERY resistant to this. I am amazed.
>
>The LiveCD route might provide at least a partial solution.  It is plausible
>to me that a smart kid could do more network damage from a booted Linux
>LiveCD than from a hard drive install.  But I suspect the perception is
>different, and as a practical matter, one might meet with far less
>resistance.
>
>http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php?showonly=&sort=Purpose
>
>lists over 10 available LiveCD distros whose main purpose is educational.
>
>I suspect most, if not all, include a Python distribution. But I doubt if
>any are ideally configured for what one might want to use as a basis for
>teaching Python - IDLE, pygame, whatever else, etc.
>
>There is, for example, a Lisp resource kit in the educational category:
>
>http://www.common-lisp.net/project/lisp-res-kit/
>
>I am surprised that nothing of the sort has emerged from the Python
>community.  My own efforts to spark interest in such a project have met with
>luke warm response.  But I might not be the right guy to be trying to
>organize a community effort.
>

>Art

Kent S Johnson
http://www.kentsjohnson.com