[Edu-sig] Network-safe Python Install for school use? Thanks forsuggestions!

Jason Cunliffe jason.cunliffe at verizon.net
Sun Mar 21 18:30:08 EST 2004

That all sounds good. But I question this one:

> 3) Inquire from the IT department if they would still worry about things
> with the networking removed from Python.

'Removing networking from Python' seems to me a bad idea.
Perhaps *instead* get your IT dept. to focus on mapping out the user/logins
they will use for students so that there is accountability, regardless of
any languages tools employed. This is surely their job and will help focus
on useful network-oriented solutions not fear/blame. Combined with machine's
IP address, they should be able to prevent any normal damage.

btw, do consider linksys routers. These are nice cheap firewall devices
which mighty be helpful for all concerned. Handy  if you need to isolate a
set of machines quickly/safely. These are typically $50-$100  and used for
connecting small LANs to DSL/Cable modems.

But they are also excellent as stand-alone boxes which can be used for
defining and protecting small networks or sections of them. Administration
is done remotely via web browser and sysadmin password login to change the
box config settings. This includes setting machine numbers and subnets,
assigning filters to protect/enable various protocols etc.

These boxes will not complicate the district-wide software settings, but can
be used to focus and manage network security needs in a very direct
small-is-beautiful manner. Plus you get some flashing panel lights you can
see a-at-glance whose cooking.
Very easy to turn features on or off. [see link below]
Good tech and support from a good company at reasonable prices.
Wired or wire-less both apply.

http://www.linksys.com/
http://www.linksys.com/support/TechSupport.asp

for example see advanced features
http://www.linksys.com/support/support.asp?spid=58#adv

The most famous model is BEFSR41. Here is the manual for the wireless model.
ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pdf/befsr41w_ug.pdf

But as you'll see there are 8-port versions and more.

hth & good luck
- Jason