[Edu-sig] re: Network-safe Python Install for school use?

Simon Burton simon at arrowtheory.com
Sun Mar 21 18:27:16 EST 2004

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 09:35:31 -0500
Arthur <ajsiegel at optonline.net> wrote:

> The LiveCD route might provide at least a partial solution.  It is plausible
> to me that a smart kid could do more network damage from a booted Linux
> LiveCD than from a hard drive install.  But I suspect the perception is
> different, and as a practical matter, one might meet with far less
> resistance.

> I am surprised that nothing of the sort has emerged from the Python
> community.  My own efforts to spark interest in such a project have met with
> luke warm response.  But I might not be the right guy to be trying to
> organize a community effort.
>

> Art

I think it's a good idea too. I'm interested in teaching multimedia/game programming with python,
and installing all those goodies on a room of windows machines would be a pain. Still, there is
the question of homework: what are the students expected to do? However, in terms of getting
them hooked in the first place a liveCD sounds really good..

Simon.

--
Simon Burton, B.Sc.
Licensed PO Box 8066