[Edu-sig] Introductory high school programming class - Python orTeachScheme

Liow, Dr. Yihsiang yliow at ccis.edu
Thu May 6 09:24:49 EDT 2004

To make programming fun, you have to go beyond the language and do
interesting things with it. That means using libraries or
tools/frameworks. Two semesters of Python will get you much further and
you'll retain more students too. "How to Think Like a Computer
Scientist" will not get your students into interesting applications yet.
So I strongly suggest you cover "How to Think ..." in 1 semester and
spend the next doing some fun projects such as web applications using
Zope or game using PyGame, etc. You can also put some of the more
advance stuff in "How to Think ..." in the second semester and start a
project during the first semester.

Scheme is a great language but it is more "academic" than Python and
does not seem to have as strong a pull as Python in the industry. So
Python will definitely catch more attention. For instance compare the
two:

CS101. Do you want to learn a programming language, Scheme, taught at
MIT? ...

CS101. Do you want to learn a programming language, Python, used by
Google and Yahoo! and Industrial Light & Magic and NASA? ...

There are success stories in Scheme. If you want to use Scheme, you
might want to check out http://www.schemers.org/Documents/FAQ/, but I
think most of your potential students will not identify with the
software listed there. For Python's success stories, go to
http://pythonology.org/success.

Hope this helps.

- yihsiang