[Edu-sig] Re: Introductory high school programming

Kirby Urner urnerk at qwest.net
Sat May 8 13:22:47 EDT 2004

<<SNIP>>

> Anyway - enough from me at this point. Hope this
> offers a semi empirical flavour to the discussion.
> regards

Excellent, experience-based post Darren.  Valuable input.

Teaching Java to 10-11 year olds or younger -- my daughter is around that
age, quite bright, but I wouldn't consider miring her in that language.
Seems so baroque, rococo even, by comparison.

Python? Sure (but we haven't yet, except she's watched me write some Pygame
stuff over the shoulder, guiding the aesthetics).

Kirby

===========

I'm finally making the time to work with VPython again.  My previous high on
that score was reading Arthur's Pygeo code (many versions ago) and trying to
see how it all worked.  These days, I'm just adapting what I've used to
output to POV-Ray, and a lot of the same code over top.

A motivation is 'Teaching Python with Graphics', which I'm suppose to
present 45 minutes on at OSCON end of July.  I'm planning to use my
not-so-fancy laptop (1.2 Duron Compaq Presario 700) running Linux 2.4
(Mandrake 9.2) and Python 2.3, and graphics libraries (PIL, PyGame,
VPython).

The focus is on smallish projects involving graphics and Python programming.
For example, awhile back I posted re some of that Wolfram-style cellular
automata stuff, using POV-Ray for output.  I've since adapted that to PIL.

On the POV-Ray side, I do want to demo simple animation-building, though I
haven't yet moved the whole stills-to-movie process to Linux (however, I'm
confidant mplayer will both build and play the stuff).

Kirby