[Edu-sig] Re: Teaching graphics with Python (was Introductoryhighschool programming)

Gregor Lingl glingl at aon.at
Mon May 10 08:14:42 EDT 2004

John Zelle schrieb:

> My latest version of the package (still in testing) adds an option to
> turn off the auto-flush. Using this option, you can do a bunch of
> draws before actually updating the view.

Interestigly the module turtle.py (in the standard distribution of
Python) already has a similar feature,
namely the function (method) tracer().

> I think the result would be a much faster draw, but it's still going
> to be slower than PIL
>
> If you're interested, I could post the latest version of graphics.py.

Yes, I'm also interested in this latest version.

> This is problem with graphics.py. Tk provides a method to dump
> canvases to postscript, but the last time I checked it only worked
> under Unix/Linux. I'm not sure if this has been brought into the
> Windows world as well, I haven't looked recently.

In my experience this still dowsn't work correctly.  A ps-file will be
produced but it displays
only as a tiny blank rectangle.

Regards, Gregor