[Edu-sig] Re: Fwd: [Fwd: Why we need "Fat Python"]

Jeff Sandys sandysj at juno.com
Wed May 26 12:36:51 EDT 2004

> The message below was bounced back to me from the mailing list
> because it said I'm not a member ...

The list owner changed the list properties 2 months ago to stop
the spam, check your email address or resubscribe at:

> I really want to get discussion going around this topic.  There
> have been several opportunities recently to advance Python in
> education, but distribution difficulties of the software are a
> big impediment.

What are the distribution difficulties that cause the impediment?

> There are also threats.  I just received from my supervisor a
> sample competency list for a new National Occupational
> Competency Testing Institute (NOCTI) exam in Computer
> Programming.  ...

Who uses the NOCTI?  Is it stodgy companies who are looking for
VB programmers, or companies the NOCTI sells its services to?

> Python is not on the list.  Neither is Java, and that will
> never stand, so there might be an opportunity here to do some
> more education around the merits of Python.
>
> Thanks!

I think that computers and programming are getting to a critical
mass where the is division between computer science and CP4E.
I think that computer programming should be a modern skill that
every student learns, like reading, writing, arithmetic, art,
music, and sports.  Every student should have the ability to
express themselves in all these media because these media will
be a part of there lives.  Not everyone will make a vocation
of computer science or other expressive media but they will use
all these media in whatever vocation they choose.

To me if NOCTI has 'write a program in Python' or not, doesn't
matter as much as getting more (every) student exposed to
programming.  So tell me more about the distribution problems.

Thanks,
Jeff Sandys