[Edu-sig] What do files and exceptions have in common?

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Mon Nov 8 01:30:49 CET 2004

Still prepping for my files class. The chapter in Dawson is "Files and
Exceptions". I think that is a little strange; what do files and
exceptions have to do with each other, pedagogically? None of the file
examples even use exceptions, and few of the exceptions examples use files.

But whatever, I figure I'll stick with the program. But looking at other
sources, I see Elkner's "Hot to Think Like a Computer Scientist" and
Mark's "Dive into Python" have chapters called "Files and Exceptions"
and "Exceptions and File Handling" respectively.

Strange.

Kent