[Edu-sig] Teaching Python to Programmers

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Sat Nov 20 21:52:36 CET 2004

I am almost done with my Python for beginners course - more about that
when it is over. Next term I'm going to try teaching Python to
programmers, just for variety. So, a few questions...

What should I use for a textbook? Learning Python is an obvious choice.
I didn't really like Dive into Python so I don't think I will use that.
Does anyone recommend Practical Python? I haven't read it and I'm
wondering if I should get a copy.

Here is a blurb for the course catalog. I would be happy for suggested
improvements from better writers than I :-)

---------------------
Python for Programmers

Are you an experienced programmer looking to expand your abilities?
Python is an excellent addition to your programming toolkit. Python is
an interpreted, interactive, object-oriented programming language which
combines remarkable power with exceptional ease-of-use. It is freely
available, easy to learn and fun to use! Python's "batteries included"
philosophy makes it suitable for a wide variety of applications
including utilities, web programming, graphics and games.

This class is for students with some previous programming experience who
want to learn Python.