[Edu-sig] SHIKSHANTAR

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Mon Nov 22 15:11:56 CET 2004

Robert writes -

> 2) You cannot learn an advanced subject without first learning the
> underlying material on which it is dependant. For example, you are
> going to find multiplication very difficult if you don't first grasp
> addition.

Relating this to a goal of general computer literacy:

In my class the curriculum would probably be a run through, in stages, of a
Linux machine installation.  Linux, not on the basis of it being better,
easier, free, open - Linux on the basis of its relative transparency and
modularity, it's Unix roots, and therefore its seniority.

Install minimal, and explore from the shell, etc, etc.

Apt-get one's way to more functionality, in stages.

Eventually apt-get XWindows, and "startx".

And talk, maybe, about how what they are seeing relates to the Windows
machine they may have at home, or that their parents may use at work.

This approach seems sensible, in the commonsense sense of sensible. Really
nothing very innovative or controversial being suggested, one would think.

Except that of course it is.  Which, again, is the clue of there being
something way off kilter.