[Edu-sig] teaching Python

Darren Payne inxdr at yahoo.com.au
Tue Nov 23 07:05:11 CET 2004

Sorry all - this post will probly stir up a commotion.

I have been keen on Python for quite a while. I have
tried using it ti teach programming in a high school
situation and would have liked to extend into PyGame.
Sadly, though I feel I DO understand object oriented
concepts, I DO NOT have any idea of determining what
objects to create. Similarly, as there is SO MUCH to
learn before one becomes capable of completing even
simple tasks like a blackjack cardgame (with gui too)
... I am finding students get turned off before they
even get a chance to see what can be done. I know ...
it must be just me and the way I teach it. However, I
have recently revisited Gamemaker. I saw it a few
years ago and could not make much sense of it. But now
it is up to version 6, there are loads of fantastic
tutorials to follow along with. I have introduced it
to classes from Yr7 - 10 and they love it whereas only
2 - 3 of the really "nerdy", "geeky" kids appreciated
Python!
My feeling is that Python will never be widely used
(in schools) unless we can get a PyGamemaker package.
Even girls have a ball with gamemaker!

regards
Darren

=====