[Edu-sig] teaching Python

Daniel Ajoy dajoy at openworldlearning.org
Sun Nov 28 23:36:44 CET 2004

I've always wanted to teach myself *inferential* statistics
through programming, but most of the examples of statistics
being taught through programming are *descriptive* statistics.

Most of the simple programs that you see in old BASIC books
that deal with statistics are, descriptive statistics.

Most *inferential* statistics algorithms are overly technical
or boring, and don't contribute to the understanding of
inferential statistics. Eg, chi-square-distribution algorithm.

I'm thinking that the problem arises because inferential
statistics deal with population with an infinite number of
members, or infinite many samples.

Daniel