[Edu-sig] Advice: is python suitable?

Peter Bowyer peter at mapledesign.co.uk
Thu Oct 7 09:56:38 CEST 2004

Hello list,

This is semi off-topic, so I'd better introduce myself :-)
I'm studying physics at the University of Southampton, and joined this list
as I hope to use my final year project to create physics simulations in
Python to aid students, or (even better) write course material to teach the
students how to think about the physics concepts (and program at the same
time...).  That is still a year away, and I've not experimented much with
Python yet to see how feasible it would be to do this kind of thing.

This year I'm taking a course in computational physics, which allows the
use of any programming language.  The notes however are skewed towards the
department's in-house languages (variations on BASIC and C).  I'm hoping
one of you could look at the course notes and tell me if there's anything
here that is not possible to do in Python?  They are at
http://www.phys.soton.ac.uk/teach/year3/notes/ph314/notes/phys3006b.pdf for
the BASIC version, and
http://www.phys.soton.ac.uk/teach/year3/notes/ph314/notes/phys3006c.pdf for
the C version.

Thanks,
Peter

--
Maple Design - quality web design and programming
http://www.mapledesign.co.uk