[Edu-sig] Using Jython to merge Python and Java for CS1

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Tue Oct 19 13:57:38 CEST 2004

Laura writes -

> I think that starting with Jython and moving to Java is an approach that
> Georgia Tech
> has used, but their media in computation course is enough different that
> it is hard
> to find out for sure.  At any rate they appear to have a Java version of
> their
> course which uses Rice University's Dr. Java.
>
> http://www.cc.gatech.edu/news/cat.html is a place to start, but some
> things
> I think you are going to have to ask them.

FWIW, there is apparently a book being published as an outgrowth of the
Georgia Tech curriculum:

"Introduction to Media Computation: A Multimedia Cookbook in Python"

http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/mediaComp-plan/uploads/1/guzdialcover.jpg

While my sensibilities were somewhat offended by the write-up about the
course - I don't think that CS for Liberal Arts majors needs to be burdened
with the issue of "relevancy" for one's career any more than say, Art
History would - I was delighted by a look at some of the work of the
students, for example at:

http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/cs1315/1813

I don't see the "relevancy" of the output, but do sense that folks are
learning and having fun doing it.