[Edu-sig] "Croquet Project" and Python ?

francois schnell francois.schnell at free.fr
Wed Oct 20 22:07:40 CEST 2004

David Handy a écrit :

>On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 09:09:24AM -0400, Arthur wrote:
>

>>Francois writes -
>>

>>>I recently discovered the  new "croquet project":
>>>http://www.opencroquet.org
>>>
>>>But it's Squeak based :-(

>>What do see in croquet that is connected to education? What is the
>>importance within an educational setting of collaboration in virtual 3d
>>space? Compared, for example, to collaboration-in-the-flesh,
>>

>I went to the Croquet web site, and got the impression that it was another
>massively-multiplayer online game, but possibly less violent than most. :)
>
>Is it educational? Yes, highly educational - for the people designing and
>building the system itself.

No, it's a full 3D programming objet with all the paradigm wich goes
with it.
In fact it's a 3D, multimedia, collaborativ,  smalltalk.
Smalltalk is used for the UPS tracking systems, controls all the trains
in germany and the german AMD processor factory assembly for example.
It's not just nice.

>Writing computer games is far and away more educational than using
>(playing) "educational" software. When I was a teenager and dinosaurs roamed
>the earth (early 80's) I wrote games and simulations, and so did my friends.
>One of my ambitions with the book I have written is to try to rekindle that
>"lost art" among today's youth.

I believe kids in the 80s (muself and you) are very different from kids
from today.
In our time we had to learn verticaly (teacher -> student). Today's kids
are completely rejecting sometime violelently  this model.
They seem to learn mostly horizontaly through internet and ICT (with all
the goods ans the bads things).

> I have had at least some success in my
>previews so far, which gives me some hope.

It seems interesting, which book are you talking about (references) ?

I did an example of programming (flash recording) in E-Toys for kids
there.  It give you an idea of the "old" E-Toys in  5 minutes (sorry for
my bad english):
http://francois.schnell.free.fr/bazar/squeak/Etoys_lab_demo_GB/EToys_lab-demo_GB.htm
It is just the visual part for kids but you  can access the
"professionnal code" with one click and mix both.

Thanks

Francois

>David H.

François Schnell - Strasbourg - France
francois.schnell_At_free.fr
http://francois.schnell.free.fr
La liberté ! c'est sur ce principe que repose la démocratie alors pourquoi pas l'informatique ?