[Edu-sig] "Croquet Project" and Python ?

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Thu Oct 21 01:48:28 CEST 2004

Francois writes -

>Hello,

>That's why I like things which are not too language, or single community,
>centered or that can be done in different languages like croquet will maybe
>offer.
>"The best language is the one you use" they say, and it's a never ending
>religion we'll never probably change.

That's true enough, as far as I am concerned.  But the different communities
do tend to establish a character - and those characters might find
themselves to be incompatible.

Perhaps irrevocably prejudiced by Mr. Kay's decision to wittingly or
unwittingly assist Disney in their effort to become a force in education for
dollars, I for one feel little affinity with the Squeak community. And I
promise you that I am the furthest thing from a Free Software
fundamentalist, an anarchist, an anti-Globalist or an anti-Capitalist.  It
is in fact because I believe I understand something about hardball business,
from the inside, that I found nothing adorable about this particular
arrangement.

We have to understand the kind of power we are talking about.  It is
generally acknowledged that Disney has had clear influence on US copyright
and trademark law and policy. Many feel, in detriment to policies that would
better benefit the common good.

Why not educational law and policy?

Clear to me the wheels were spinning.

Disney would be being unfair to their shareholders if they did not exploit
their franchise with kids in all possible directions.

But did Mr. Kay believe that they would actually be a positive force in the
education of our children.

Or was he only making the pact necessary to access the kind of raw power it
takes to invent other people's future for them.

None of this in the least adorable - even if Squeak is.

Is the Squeak community actually surprised that there is someone like myself
out there with these sentiments?  That, to me, would itself be surprising.