[Edu-sig] "Croquet Project" and Python ?

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Fri Oct 22 02:34:45 CEST 2004

Francois writes -

>I think there are some interesting ideas in what Alan Kay is trying to
>archive in term of education:

>http://www.squeakland.org/school/HTML/essays/essays.html

I took the time to read "Computers, Networks and Education" in its entirety,
and find it absolutely maddening.

It is consistent with what I've seen and heard from him before.

Starting with rhetorical platitudes about kids and education with which no
one could find disagreement  - but never delivering anything in the least
satisfying to demonstrate some satisfying and explicit connection between
those platitudes and his own concrete ideas on the use of computers in
education.

Perhaps it would be better to base your admiration of Mr. Kay's role in
education more on what he can demonstrate he is actually achieving, rather
than on what he writes he is trying to achieve.